Sunday 22 July 2012

Pan-fried Tofu Triangles

Most nights you will find me eating dinner out of my favourite bowl with just a fork. I love meals where all the ingredients mix together, combining flavours and textures to make every bite equally perfect.


Part of this is definitely due to sheer laziness. I love to take my giant bowl of dinner and curl up on the couch or lounge on my balcony while I eat, and packing up leftovers is SO much easier when you only need to find one container.


Every so often though, it feels really nice to eat at the table, off of a plate, and with a proper fork and knife. If you're in that kind of a mood, then I highly recommend these tofu triangles. Pair it with crisp green beans and roasted sweet potatoes and you've got yourself a classy and traditional "meat and potatoes" kind of dinner.

Pan-fried Tofu Triangles

makes 4 servings

1 package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
2 tbsp olive oil, for frying (or less if using a non-stick pan)
2 tbsp light tamari or soy sauce
4 tsp sweet grainy mustard
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (or 1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper)


Slice tofu widthwise into 8 rectangles, and then slice each rectangle diagonally to make 16 triangles. 

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. While the pan is heating, combine the remaining ingredients in a shallow bowl and mix well. Add tofu triangles to the sauce mixture and turn to coat. 

Place tofu in the hot pan, making sure there is room between each piece. Flip slices after about 5 minutes, or when well-browned. After both sides are seared, turn down heat to low and fry tofu for another 5-10 minutes, until the corners are crispy. If you like your tofu really firm and chewy (like I do), feel free to leave them in the pan for an extra few minutes.



Leftover tofu triangles are great served cold over quinoa or in a salad. Look at that, I'm back to one-bowl meals already!

2 comments:

  1. the sauce for the tofu triangles looks so yummy! i love mustard and could eat it spoon by spoon!! yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally agree with you about spoonfuls of mustard; I think I am making up for all those years I thought I didn't like it. Silly me!

      Delete